News from Meena in Mugu District Hospital

We have just heard from Meena who tells us about two different emergency cases she has been involved with at Mugu District Hospital.  Her encounters are an example of how important it is to have fully qualified doctors working at health posts and district hospitals in the remotest areas of Nepal.  Meena has to make decisions and act quickly to save lives.  There is also an ongoing struggle to persuade the remote communities to seek help from the medical profession rather than relying solely on their local herbal medicines.

Please read Meena’s fascinating descriptions below in her own words:

“One case during my 24 hours duty time, at midnight 31 year old lady was brought to our emergency department, with complaint of six hours of labour pain and with hand prolapse.  After the history was taken and examination, we planned for an emergency caesarian section.  The baby was alive so for better outcome of both mother and baby. At midnight there was no lab facility with no regular electricity supply, and it was very difficult to arrange staff for the operating theatre.  But even after all these difficulties, we carried out the C section and both baby and mother were transferred out of the operating theatre to the ward. After seven days hospital stay both mother and baby were healthy enough to be discharged.
If we hadn’t acted quickly and made a timely decision there might been a bad outcome. Previously when this kind of case came to hospital they would refer the case to a more advanced Centre.  It will take 10-12 hours to get there on the road so for this kind of case airlifting would be needed. At midnight no chances of airlifting so there might be a bad outcome  for both mother and baby. 
Feeling grateful to handle this kind of case in Mugu district hospital.”


“Five days ago I went to a health camp in the local community where I saw very many female patients. Mrs Yogi, 35 year old female, came with a complaint of a left breast abscess which she’d had for 2 months. On examination there was a multiple site burst of the abscess. During 2 month period she applied herbal medicine to breast which had not worked. After her examination, I asked her to visit our hospital. It takes two day to walk there. On third day she came to our hospital and I did incision and drainage was done and IV medicine was started. Now she feels more comfortable and is improving day by day. If I had not visited her in health camp, her suffering may last for longer period of time. These kind of cases are hidden in communities.”