Our DFN Doctors
Our first 10 students to become Doctors for Nepal.
- Our first doctor, Lalit, who graduated in 2013, has now completed his four-year commitment to DFN to work as a doctor in a remote area of Nepal. For two years he studied for a Masters in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Cairo University in Egypt, for which he received a DFN partial scholarship. He is now qualified and has returned to work in the remote areas of Nepal and as a specialist and ambassador for DFN. In November 2021 Lalit took up a position of obstetrics and gynaecological specialist at Surkhet Hospital, Karnali Province.
- Our first female graduate, Meena, graduated in 2016 and has completed a four-year bonded period in a rural posting. She is currently working as a doctor in Mugu District hospital, in the Karnali province in remote north west Nepal.
- Our third doctor, Nahakul, also graduated in 2016 and completed his bonded period at Manma Hospital in Kalikot district in north west Nepal. He is currently preparing for his post graduate studies.
- Our fourth student to become a Doctor For Nepal was Prakash. He passed his final fifth year medical student exams at the end of March 2019 and then worked for a year as an intern at Patan Hospital before landing himself a job as a doctor for the Nick Simmons Institute in the remote region of Doti.
- Our fifth and sixth students to become Doctors For Nepal, Apsara and Kamal, graduated in June 2020, and, having spent a year as interns at Patan Hospital, Kathmandu, are now working as doctors back in their remote district hospitals in Kalikot and Jumla respectively.
- Our seventh student to become a Doctor For Nepal was Purna. He passed his final medical exams in August 2021, and has now completed his intern year and currently works in Surkhet.
- Jeevan, our eighth doctor, graduated in 2022 and is currently doing his internship at Patan Academy of Health Sciences.
- Santosh and Man, our ninth and tenth doctors, passed their final exams in June 2023 and are currently doing their internship year at Patan Academy of Health Sciences.
All of our qualified doctors had an extremely difficult 18 months fighting the Covid virus in rural areas with very limited resources and PPE.
To apply for a scholarship, click here.