We provide full medical scholarships at Patan Academy of Health Sciences in Kathmandu,(PAHS). We aim to provide one new full scholarship per annual intake (in addition to the students we already support). This is called the Doctors for Nepal Scholarship. The PAHS selection process usually begins in August.
A full scholarship covers PAHS tuition fees. At the discretion of the DFN trustees, sponsorship may also be provided for hostel fees, books and a laptop.
To apply for these scholarships, you need to fulfil the eligibility criteria for a full scholarship at PAHS. These are given on the PAHS website scholarship page.
For a full scholarship, you must have studied in public school and show evidence of being "economically marginalised". In addition, preference is given to those from backward regions, lower castes, and females.
What to do if you choose to apply for a Doctors for Nepal scholarship:
- Send us an email notification of commencing your application to PAHS. Please send to email@example.com
- Email us your CV including, age, marital status, caste, home address, schooling
- Email us a covering letter stating why you wish to have a scholarship, and desire to become a doctor
What we expect from you if you are offered a Doctors for Nepal scholarship:
- Termly updates on progress at medical school
- Access to exam reports, photos and letters for use in DFN fund-raising materials and media (website etc)
- Signing of tripartite agreement between Doctors for Nepal, yourself, and Patan Academy, stating that you will work in a rural area of Nepal for a minimum of 4 years after graduation from Patan Academy of Health Sciences
In exceptional circumstances we may offer partial scholarships, or assistance with living costs. This is at the discretion of the Board of Trustees.
We collaborate with PHASE (Practical Help Achieving Self Empowerment) – an NGO that aims to empower isolated communities through health, education and livelihood opportunities - to be able to offer Doctors for Nepal Nursing Scholarships. We also collaborate with PAHS Nursing College in Kathmandu, along similar lines.
DFN Nursing Scholarships cover:
It costs approximately £5,000 to train a nurse in Nepal
- Tuition fees
- If necessary – also hostel fees, food, and book
The scholars are contracted to work in a remote area for a minimum of 2 years in return for their funding.
To apply for a nursing scholarship in collaboration with PHASE or with PAHS, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to enquire further about our medical and nursing scholarships, please email email@example.com
Please Note: For this year (2023), we have reached capacity for new scholarships